Sunday 30 December 2012

Deserts and Doubts

Deserts, not desserts!
Like everyone I know, my faith goes through desert patches, were it's hard to keep God as the focus, where it's hard to even remember him in my daily life. I know I should give him time, and even know as I write this, I know I should be spending time with him, rather than writing this.

But, sometimes life just gets in the way, coming home for me always presents a desert patch, but this one started even before I left York, my degree has been getting the priority for a while. Something I want to write on here, because sometimes it's all too easy to pretend that everything is fine. That there are no crack in our faith. But, so often there are, at least there are always some cracks in mine. So, here's to honestly with each other, because if we aren't honest with each other we won't be able to encourage one another in our journeys.

So, here's my encouragement to everyone. I'm currently in a desert place of my faith, I'm having doubts, BUT what I'm falling back on, is this.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
1 Corinthians 10:13

I find this encouraging, because it means God is with me, in the hard, lonely desert parts of my faith, and in the times I feel overflowing with his Spirit. And, he remains faithful to my, in my struggles, and through my struggles, through my perseverance I will grow stronger in my faith in him. If I was constantly overflowing with God's love, I wouldn't know how to stand on my own two feet. I wouldn't know how to relate to others in their times of struggle but most importantly, I wouldn't realise just how much I need God. Because right know, despite my doubts, I feel so far from God and I want to change that. I want to be close to him again, I want to feel his presence in my life. 

So, I'll leave you with;

"...we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."
Romans 5: 3-4

God bless 



No comments:

Post a Comment