Sunday 16 December 2012

The Heart of Worship

I was sat listening to 'How he Loves' and it hit me, what differentiates worship from going to gig? I mean, in both you sing the lyrics, enjoy the music, but how is worship different? I know I often treat sung worship in the same attitude as I would a gig? I sing because I'm happy, I sing because it's what I want to do, and through that attitude I miss the point of sung worship. That it's purpose is to honour God. 

This made me think of the Matt Redman song; The Heart of Worship:

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simple come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
Your looking into my heart.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
All about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You, Jesus. 

There is so much truth in that, God doesn't require a song, he required our hearts. And our hearts should desire him. We should worship God in ALL that we do, not in song, but in our work, in our resting, in all parts of our lives. But it's easy fall into the trap that we can not worship apart from in songs, but songs are just a way of remembering the greatness of God, and honouring him through that remembrance. They're not about singing but, remembering who God is, and what he has done for us, and worshiping him from the depths of our hearts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment