Wednesday 20 February 2013

Haircuts and Spiritual Loads.

So, for the first time in my life, I had my haircut in a real hairdressers. It was a lovely experience, I had about 6" cut off my hair and in places even more than that! Why am I telling you this, because my hair actually weighs a lot. I didn't realise quite how heavy it was, until it was gone, at which point it felt like a huge load had been lifted off my shoulders, it even became easier to sit up. Whilst that in itself is a rather obvious point, how often do we carry metaphorical loads, that weigh us down? 

On Sunday, Matthew Porter (the vicar at St Michael le Belfrey) based his talk on simplicity in the Christian life, and how we should "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that easily entangles" Hebrews 12:1. As I cycled home today, with my shoulders light from my lack of hair, it made me think about what Matthew challenged us on. 

For those who know me, you'll know my diary dictates my life, and my diary is never empty. The combination of doing a Chemistry degree and having an inability to say 'no' (because everything sounds great!) means I have little 'me' time. I take on too much, and consequently push God out. 

Yes, that right, I push God out. I push out the God who says

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

God calls out to us, and asks to help us with our loads, and yet I know I often smile, in that polite British way and say "It's okay God, I'm fine, I'm in complete control" whilst hoping the all knowing God fails to notice my life failing around me. I need to acknowledge the fact that I'm not okay, and my life certainly isn't. I need to work out what spiritual loads I'm carrying, so I can "throw off everything that hinders" because I know that I carry a lot of burdens around with me on a daily basis. I have chained painful things to myself that I should cut away, I carry the burdens of friends, the stresses of my life, the fears for my future and the guilt from my past. I carry a lot, and I need Jesus to help me to throw off my load so I can keep going without getting weighed down.

So I challenge you this; is it time for your spiritual haircut?

No comments:

Post a Comment