Sunday 18 November 2012

Prayer: just a list of 'me' requests?

Bear with me on this one. (Please)

So, over the weekend I ended up watching a load of Disney songs on youtube with my little sister and this one really hit home, so sit back, relax and watch it now :)


What stuck me as I watched this, is Esmeralda's prayer compared to the other character's portrayed. And I wondered, how often do I present to God a list of my requests, compared to how often do I intercede for others in my prayers?

I'm not saying that I shouldn't ask for things, The Lord's prayer is quite clear that I should. But, what I wonder is, how often do I pray for the other parts of The Lord's prayer? Because, it that's how Jesus told me to pray, surely I should pray into all parts of the prayer, rather than just my daily bread. How often do I praise God, how often do I ask for his will to be done on earth, for his Kingdom to come, for people to recognise that he is God?

Honestly, not as much as I'd like.

So, I challenge you, pray into The Lord's prayer as you read it, make it your prayer, rather than words that get repeated (mindlessly if your me.) Breathe your life into words that may have lost their meaning to you.


Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment