Thursday 1 November 2012

How much is £7?

Seems a daft question, but just how much is £7? I mean, if I went to a supermarket I could get a small shop for £7, or I could spend the money on a DVD or a book, or if I was really lucky it would pay for a meal out. But, £7 isn't that much, I mean I couldn't live off it. 

But, 80% of the world's population lives off £7 or less a day. How is that right? When I'm willing to spend £7 so easily, and yet for some people they have to live off it.

Don't believe me? 


Image taken from: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

It's crazy, but do you know the reason why? Because you and I are rich - we are in the richest 20% (at least) of the world population, and us rich people we account for 75& of the global income whilst the lowest 40% of the world population accounts for only 5%? 

Can't get your head round it? 


Here are some other horrifying facts:

  • There are 2.2 billion children in the world of which 1.9 billion live in the developing world and 1 billion are in poverty
  • The best way out of poverty is by getting an education, and yet 121 million children aren't in education.
And if that isn't bad enough:


  • 640 million children are without adequate shelter,
  • 400 million children have no access to safe water 
  • 270 million children have no access to health services.
  • and the worst roughly 29,000 children die every day.
And there was me thinking that a day in labs was bad, and yet I have been able to come home to clean water to make a pot of tea, biscuits to dunk in it and the chance to relax. I'm incredibly lucky to be doing a degree when so many children don't even get a basic education, and yet do I value my education as much as I should? Do I value the luxuries of my life or do I take them for granted constantly asking for more and more and not considering the consequences. The richer the rich will get, the poor will just get poorer. And yet isn't that what life is about? Building riches up on earth and not caring for others?

And if that really is what life is about, is that life you want?
I know I don't.

Please comment and/or discuss


And the facts were taken from this website and all seem legit, at least they have a huge pile of sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment