Monday 8 April 2013

The Future

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God"
Carrie ten Boom

As I'm in my penultimate year of Uni, the future seems frightening. I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish, I don't know whether I want to stay in Science or go into teaching or do something more radical - like travel.

I'm currently on holiday, and as I had a spare hour or so I decided to listen to a talk from Momentum 2012 called: Knowing God's Will and our Calling. The talk was very useful and made me think of things I hadn't considered about my future.

First off, when I pray about it, my questions is this (if God's lucky): What are your plans for MY life. God, is the Creator of the Universe, he designed me and you, and I'm asking him what he has planned for me as if he's my secretary and has my life written up in a diary. Instead, the speaker suggests we should ask God: How can my life fit into YOUR plans. Now, we're acknowledging that God is the more powerful and influential member of our relationship and that our lives should be about serving him (rather than him serving us as our secretary)

Second point the speaker made was that our twenties are a time to discover who we are. I know I often think that once I finish Uni I'll be old, but realistically in the scale of things, if I live to be 80 I'll only have lived a quarter of my life. And that's not so long at all. So, she suggested that our twenties should be a period of learning how we are, what makes us tick and what frustrates us. Because God has designed us so we are all different and all different things make us tick, so we can all serve God in different ways, but ways we enjoy. So, we need to learn more about ourselves to get a better idea how we can best serve God.

And the third point I took from her talk, and the one that speaks to me the most is that we are all on our own personalised discipleship programme. We're all going to learn different things at different times, go through periods of uncertainty and disbelief, so it doesn't matter if people already know what they're going to do in their future because it doesn't make them a holier Christian, God just teaching you different things at different times.     

No comments:

Post a Comment